Event Calendar

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

EdChat-ter on Gamification




Last week I had the awesome opportunity to moderate an edchat, #PISDedchat.  What I thought was an intimidating and complicated challenge, turned out to be an amazingly stretching and encouraging experience... and so much fun!  A year ago, I would not have imagined that I could be capable of engaging in social media in this way.  But this year has been a year of firsts, and a year of embracing a growth mindset for me!

I received great advice from previous Christie moderators, @carriecormack , @LindaHigbee1, and @Jess_Malloy, as well as encouragement from #PISDedchat coordinator, Becca Bailey, and gurus: Ronnie Cantu and Andrea Jaramillo.  How lucky am I to have friends and colleagues such as these to nudge me out of my comfort zone! The actual process was quite manageable and easy to navigate. I created a graphic of the topic questions in Canva. Becca and I tweeted the graphic out a few days before so everyone had a chance to preview the questions.  I then used Tweetdeck to schedule my questions to tweet out every 8-10 minutes during the session.  On the night of the edchat, I pulled up Tweetdeck  to monitor the pacing, and used my tablet to respond to participants.  I was glad that I had already drafted my tweets with resource links on a separate doc.  All I had to do was copy and paste at the right moment!  Believe me, if I can this, so can you!

Our topic of Gamification was one that I had only heard about this year at an edcamp session (another first!) led by Clint Wilcox from Rockwall ISD.  I found it intriguing and wondered if others would find it interesting for discussion.  Tweets from the edchat can be found by searching #PISDedchat and/or #Gamification.  I am also including resources that were shared with me or in the edchat.  My hope is that we broadened our Gamification knowledge base and the discussion provided food for thought.  The goal was never to persuade, rather, to analyze what components of Gamification can help you to achieve goals of increasing student success.      
In researching the topic, I came across various resources that amplifies the idea of Gamification.  I am sharing links and images that came up in the edchat.  I welcome any comments and input you might have.

This is an eleven minute TEDtalk on Gamification.



                                        Article: The Difference Between Gamification And Game-Based Learning
flickeringbrad-gamebasedlearning

Additional Resources: 

Here are a couple of Infographics: 


No comments:

Post a Comment